Patient Navigator RN
Company: Baylor Scott & White Health
Posted on: May 13, 2022
Temple Cancer Center
The Patient Navigator RN is responsible for facilitating patient
continuity of care with the healthcare team. This position acts in
an intake model, assessing the patient needs, assisting with
planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating the patient care
needs with the healthcare team. This position functions
autonomously and in collaboration with other members of the
healthcare team as a patient advocate, educator and
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE
Orients and educates patients, families, and caregivers to the
cancer healthcare system, multidisciplinary team member roles (to
include role of the ONN), and available resources.
Identifies potential and realized barriers to care (e.g.,
transportation, childcare, elder care, housing, language, culture,
literacy, role disparity, psychosocial, employment, financial,
insurance) and facilitates referrals as appropriate to mitigate
Participates in psychosocial distress screening process by
utilizing appropriate screening/assessment tools and methods.
Participates in coordination of the plan of care with the
Serves as a resource for community on health issues, prevention,
screening, treatment, and research.
Participates in multidisciplinary process improvement teams.
Builds therapeutic and trusting relationships with patients,
families, and caregivers through effective communication and
Assists in the identification of candidates for molecular testing
and/or genetic testing.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patients according to
the physician orders, and establishes a plan of care.
- Coordinates scheduling for outpatient testing to be performed
in order to make a definitive diagnosis. Communicates with all
members of healthcare team involved in providing patient care.
Visits with physicians and office staff acting as a liaison between
patient and office on a regularly basis.
- Facilitates timely access to quality medical care from
diagnosis through survivorship. Collaborates with physicians and
other health care providers to improve patient care within an
- Educates patient and family members on diagnosis, treatment
options and available services, and serves as an advocate,
providing direction and support to the patient and family
throughout the continuum of care. Follows up with patients on 3
month and 1 year interval.
- Maintains accurate and complete nursing documentation, patient
information in the Patient Navigator database.
- Participates in case conference where appropriate to maintain
and increase disease specific knowledge base. Participates and
attends community service events.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement projects in
order to better serve the patient, family and healthcare system to
improve the quality of service provided.
- Greets patient and families, and provides facility information,
directions and general information. Provides escorts for patients
and family throughout the hospital for places that are difficult to
- Assists with on-boarding new nurse navigators to the
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- Strong leadership, decision making and delegation
- Knowledge of care management, resource and utilization
- Skilled in care management and patient assessments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Must be able to interact comfortably with physicians, nurses,
clinical staff, patients, families and community agency
- Ability to monitor, assess and record patient progress against
a plan of care.
- Ability to facilitate patient access to community
- Ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external
medical staff and external partners and organizations.
- Ability to assess, adapt, and calmly respond to changing and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with all aspects of patient
information in accordance with all applicable policies and
Our competitive benefits package includes the following
- Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
- 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to
- Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO accrual beginning Day 1
Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level
- EDUCATION - Bachelor's
- EXPERIENCE - 3 Years of Experience
- CERTIFICATION/LICENSE/REGISTRATION -
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Basic Life Support (BLS): BLS in 30 days of hire or
Keywords: Baylor Scott & White Health, Temple , Patient Navigator RN, Healthcare , Temple, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!