Pet Care Assistant - 001596
Company: Banfield Pet Hospital
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Pet Care Assistant
Summary of Job Purpose and Function
The Pet Care Assistant works with the veterinary medical team to
provide and prepare for the best medical care of pets, and to
ensure this is provided in a happy, welcoming, friendly and
efficient manner, influencing clients to return and refer their
friends and families.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare the treatment room for examination of pets and all
necessary medical item and supplies (e.g. vaccinations, fecal
loops, slides, etc.) for the veterinarian and/or veterinary
technician. Set up fecals, smears, and skin scrapings as allowed by
state rules and regulations.
- Maintain the flow of the Cycle of Service in accordance to
position. Provide Client Education regarding preventive care,
Optimum Wellness Plans, and basic status of hospitalized pets.
Serve as support to the Client Services Coordinator staff on an
- Hold or restrain pets during examination, treatment, or
- Prepare routine in-house laboratory tests (e.g. canine
heartworm, feline leukemia, FIV, and canine parvovirus) as allowed
by state rules and regulations.
- Monitor the comfort of hospitalized patients. Ensure the
comfort of hospitalized patients by "walking", exercising, feeding,
and cleaning cages and pet (when approved by the veterinarian or
- Bathe and dip pets when necessary to treat dermatological
conditions (when advised by veterinarian or veterinary
- Clean the surgical suite and instruments.
- Ensure cleanliness of the hospital including but not limited to
housekeeping such as laundry, dishes, mopping, cage cleaning, trash
collection and removal and instrument cleaning as outlined by
- Other job duties as assigned.
Capabilities and Experience (can do)
- Ability to multi-task- Manages multiple tasks at one time;
quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under
distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English,
using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells
commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates
exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in
carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting
through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to
identify, analyze and solve problems. Translates problems into
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides
the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains
and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows
instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert
units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer
and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook,
Attitudes (will do)
- Initiative - shows willingness and aptitude to take appropriate
steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas
to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional
responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield
Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating
and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant
information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities
and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties
without supervision as appropriate.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can
do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness,
and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds,
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40
hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This
position requires special hours including working weekends and
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering,
mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking
the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform
duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well
as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity
with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may
bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation,
biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
Experience, Education and/or Training
- High School Diploma preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years old to perform duties involving
radiography (x-ray) and exposure to radioactive substances.
- One year related experience required with customer service
Banfield Pet Hospital strongly supports and values the
uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where
diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status
as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital
complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws
governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield
Keywords: Banfield Pet Hospital, Temple , Pet Care Assistant - 001596, Other , Temple, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!